Friday, March 16, 2012

Week 10 Reflection

With a sad heart I end my last week in this amazing course, yet without thinking of ending everything. Still, we will meet, discuss and chat, never say goodbye everybody. We will be friends forever, hopefully. Even this week while we end everything, I learn and learn. The Task: How are you integrating technology into your teaching? LoTI (Levels of Technology Integration): Digital Age Framework offers a way to evaluate how technology is being integrated into the classroom. This is learned about from this link:
(http://www.loticonnection.com/index.php/more/frameworks/20-loti-framework)

The idea of the survey appealed to me so much not only to evaluate my work in the classroom and how far I use technology, but from another perspective it added to me a lot of ideas that I can use in the future in my classroom. Actually, every question added something to me. The idea of how often I use digital tools and resources during the instructional day. Here you get to know some more digital tools that you might not be using. Participating in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology toward improving student learning. This might inspire me to think more about this participation.
I offer students learning activities that emphasize the use of digital tools and resources to solve "real-world" problems or issues. The idea if my students propose innovative ways to use our school's advanced digital tools (e.g., digital media authoring tools, graphics programs, probeware with GPS systems) and resources (e.g., publishing software, media production software, advanced web design software) to address challenges/issues affecting their local and global communities. Why don’t I use this and encourage them to do it. If I employ learner-centered strategies (e.g., communities of inquiry, learning stations/centers) to address the diverse needs of all students using developmentally-appropriate digital tools and resources. This inspired me to do it in my class. The idea if I model and facilitate the effective use of current and emerging digital tools and resources (e.g., streaming media, wikis, podcasting) to support teaching and learning in my classroom is also important as a reminder to make sure if  I do or not. If I use different digital media and formats (e.g, blogs, online newsletters, online lesson plans, podcasting, digital documents) to communicate information effectively to students, parents, and peers. Students in my classroom use the digital tools and resources to create web-based (e.g., web posters, student blogs or wikis, basic webpages) or multimedia presentations (e.g., PowerPoint) that showcase digitally their research (i.e., information gathering) on topics that I assign.Here are the rest of the questions that might inspire all of us to work and work for the good of our students all:
My students use the classroom digital tools and resources to engage in relevant, challenging, and self-directed learning experiences that address the content standards.
My students identify important real world issues or problems (e.g., environmental pollution, elections, health awareness), then use collaborative tools and human resources beyond the school building (e.g., partnerships with business professionals, community groups) to solve them.
I promote, monitor, and model the ethical use of digital information and technology in my classroom (e.g., appropriate citing of resources, respecting copyright permissions).
My students participate in collaborative projects (e.g., Jason Project, GlobalSchoolNet) involving face-to-face and/or virtual environments with students of other cultures that address current problems, issues, and/or themes.
I consider how my students will apply what they have learned in class to the world they live when planning instruction and assessment strategies.
My students collaborate with me in setting both group and individual academic goals that provide opportunities for them to direct their own learning aligned to the content standards.
My students and I use the digital tools and resources (e.g., interactive whiteboard, digital student response system, online tutorials) primarily to supplement the curriculum and reinforce specific content standards.
I prefer using standards-based instructional units and related student learning experiences recommended by colleagues that emphasize innovative thinking, student use of digital tools and resources, and student relevancy to the real world.
Our classroom's digital tools and resources are used exclusively for classroom management and professional communication (e.g., accessing the Internet, communicating with colleagues or parents, grading student work, and/or planning instructional activities).
The digital tools and resources in my classroom are used by me during the instructional day and not by my students.
I advocate for the use of different assistive technologies on my campus that are available to meet the diverse demands of special needs students.
I promote global awareness in my classroom by providing students with digital opportunities to collaborate with others of various cultures.
I engage students in learning activities that require them to analyze information, think creatively, make predictions, and/or draw conclusions using the digital tools (e.g., interactive whiteboard, digital student response system) and resources (e.g., Inspiration/Kidspiration, Excel, InspireData) available in my classroom.
My students model the "correct and careful" (e.g., ethical usage, proper digital etiquette, protecting their personal information) use of digital resources and are aware of the consequences regarding their misuse.
I use the digital tools and resources in my classroom to promote student creativity and innovative thinking (e.g., thinking outside the box, exploring multiple solutions).
I model for my students the safe and legal use of digital tools and resources while I am delivering content and/or reinforcing their understanding of pertinent concepts using multimedia resources (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote), web-based tools (e.g., Google Presentations), or an interactive whiteboard.
I seek outside help with designing student-centered performance assessments using the available digital tools and resources that involve students transferring what they have learned to a real world context.
I rely heavily on my students' questions and previous experiences when designing learning activities that address the content that I teach.
I assign web-based projects (e.g., web collaborations, WebQuests) to my students that emphasize complex thinking strategies (e.g., problem-solving, decision-making, experimental inquiry) aligned to the content standards.
I design and/or implement web-based projects (e.g., WebQuests, web collaborations) in my classroom that emphasize the higher levels of student cognition (e.g., analyzing, evaluating, creating).
I promote the effective use of digital tools and resources on my campus and within my professional community and actively develop the technology skills of others.
My students use all forms of the most advanced digital tools (e.g., digital media authoring tools, graphics programs, probeware with GPS systems, handheld devices) and resources (e.g., publishing software, media production software, advanced web design software) to pursue collaborative problem-solving opportunities surrounding issues of personal and/or social importance.
Problem-based learning occurs in my classroom because it allows students to use the classroom digital tools and resources for higher-order thinking (e.g., analyzing, evaluating, creating) and personal inquiry.
My students use digital tools and resources for research purposes (e.g., data collection, online questionnaires, Internet research) that require them to investigate an issue/problem, take a position, make decisions, and/or seek out a solution.
My students use the digital tools and resources in my classroom primarily to increase their content understanding (e.g., digital flipcharts, simulations) or to improve their basic math and literacy skills (e.g., online tutorials, content-specific software).
I provide multiple and varied formative and summative assessment opportunities that encourage students to "showcase" their content understanding in nontraditional ways.
I use different technology systems unique to my grade level or content area (e.g., online courseware, Moodle, WAN/LAN, interactive online curriculum tools) to support student success and innovation in class.
My students use the available digital tools and resources for (1) collaboration with others, (2) publishing, (3) communication, and (4) research to solve issues and problems of personal interest that address specific content standards.
My students apply their classroom content learning to real-world problems within the local or global community using the digital tools and resources at our disposal.
I hope this learning will not end, as I hope that our work and friendship will not end either.
I wish you all the best in life.
Hesham

10 comments:

  1. Hi Hesham,
    I appreciate your enthusiasm till the end of the course, the time I already feel drained and need some rest.
    I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your life hoping to meet you one day in your dear country EGYPT.
    Best wishes,
    Nihmat from lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nihmat for your nice words. I will be waiting to meet you in my beloved Egypt and your second home. Please let's keep in touch.
      Hesham

      Delete
  2. and I thought I was long in my final reflection!!

    Oh, Hesham, I second Nihmat's praising your enthusiasm and commitment for this course, all the way till the very end.

    Best of luck with a new Egypt,

    Hassan, Lebanon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Hassan for your kindness. I hope this friendship will last forever.
      Hesham

      Delete
  3. Hi Hesham!
    I just wonder where do you take so much time to write such a long post ;)?
    Thank you for having been my webmate for these ten weeks! I wish you good luck in everything you do!!!
    Yuliya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same wishes to you Yuliya, you have inspired me a lot with your amazing posts. Let's keep in touch on.
      Hesham

      Delete
  4. Hi HEsham,

    You've managed to wrap up our course :)
    Thanks for your dedication and hardwork too. Hope to learn more from each other in the future.

    xx
    Nur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nur for your kindness. I hope this work and friendship will last forever.
      Hesham

      Delete
  5. Hi Hesham,

    Wow, you did a very comprehensive post! I must not have given you enough tasks to keep you busy all week! ;)

    It has been great, hasn't it? And you've managed to hang in there even when you were facing a closed university and other turmoil around you.

    It's been great having you as part of this fun course.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi for your support all the time. The pleasure is mine to be working with such an amazing and dedicated instructor like you. Please let's keep in touch forever.
      Hesham

      Delete