Sunday, February 12, 2012

Week 5 Reflecion

It is great to learn everyday something new; I really do not this course to come to an end. We learn and learn for the sake of learning and to make our learners enjoy what they learn. This week we have learned about  Rubrics which are a wonderful way to clarify expectations for holistic grading, such as for writing or speaking. I like this sentence that "the rubric becomes a kind of contract between the teacher and the learners, so that learners know that if they do the things associated with "excellent" in the rubric, they will get an "excellent" mark." It is nice to imagine yourself signing a contract with your student on the terms and conditions of your work as a teacher. This really proved to me that the students are more motivated, and this really makes assessment is easier. It is also a great idea that students must get the rubrics when they begin the task. I have already decided to do that with them.
The article about Alternative learning; alternative assessment: http://www.nclrc.org/essentials/assessing/alternative.htm with Recommended Internet tool for creating rubrics: RubiStar http://rubistar.4teachers.org/
also proved to be very beneficial to me. Now I can create my own rubrics without waiting for my seniors to get them to me.
Second we learn something that appeals to me a lot  which is Project-based Learning (PBL).


Although I had some experience about it, this added a lot to my knowledge. I learn that "in PBL, learners are given instructions and resources (scaffolding), then they work in groups create a project. This is similar to problem-based learning, where learners work to come up with a solution to a specific, usually real-world, problem. If the task is authentic and the audience is broad, this is especially effective."

The article "Focus on Basics: Less Teaching and More Learning" by Susan Gaer gives some background information about project-based learning: http://www.ncsall.net/?id=385
I enjoyed it a lot too. She seems to be a professional teacher who is dedicated to her work.
Also The "Student Projects Sampler," also by Susan Gaer, provides a number of examples of webquest-style project-based learning: http://susangaer.com/studentprojects/
gave me a lot of ideas for what to do in the future about my projects and activities.



WebQuests which are a form of PBL that follows a fairly specific pattern where the teacher creates the task statement and designates the resources (learners do not "just search") and learners work in groups and have a specified product and the teacher produces an evaluation in the form of a rubric for students to use as they are doing their project and for self-evaluation when it is finished. The teacher evaluates with the rubric as well, also added to my career as a teacher, I created my own page on http://www.zunal.com/ and I am going to use more of this website in the future.
I love this course, and I am waiting for more to learn.

6 comments:

  1. I have downloaded my project on ThinkQuest, but so far I cannot publish here. If there is a way to publish on this blog, please my dear instructors and classmates, tell me about it to share it with everyone to benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the idea of solving a problem was such a nice one to share problems and solution with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hesham,
    That's great you are ready with a project! I am looking forward to reading it! Why don't you share the link to the ThinkQuest? You could do this on the Nicenet, EXTRA CREDIT conference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry Yulia, it is a paid website, but I downloaded the project and I would like to share with everybody here but I do not know how.

      Delete
  4. And I like the way you write in your blog - adding all the hyperlinks you had followed during the week. That's nice, you could come back later, and here it is, the link to some topic. So well organized you are!!!
    P.S. Thank you for 'coming' every weeek to comment on my blog!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI HeshamEnglish,
    YES, i agree with you that PBL is a great way to promote student motivation through learner centered project work. And web quests follow a pattern that can be utilized to enrich the learning experience. I too look forward to integrating PBL into classes in Sri Lanka

    ReplyDelete